wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Etisalat Gets 45% In Swan Tele For $900 Million

UAE’s largest telecom operator Emirates Telecommunications Corporation (Etisalat) has picked 45 percent stake in Swan Telecom, for up to $900 million, reports FT. The deal thus values Swan at $2 Billion. So who’s exited? As per earlier reports, Mauritius-based Delphi Investments held 9.9 percent stake, while Dynamix Balwas, a Mumbai based property group, held 99.8 percent of the remaining stake, 0.2 percent with Parrot Consultants Pvt. Ltd and Zebra Consultants Pvt. Ltd.

Interestingly, the acquisition was let slip by Telecom Minister A. Raja, on the sidelines of a conference. He said – “Officially, I have not gotten any letter or any information. Unofficially, I have been told that one of the Indian companies, which got license and spectrum in some of the areas is going to align with Etisalat. The company is Swan. Informally, this is what I have been told.”

It’s likely that some of this $900 million will be used to finance bid for 3G spectrum – question is, how much of it? Some will be utilized for a rollout, but it’s likely that if a telco does get 3G spectrum, it’s valuations will increase, and a further round of fund-raising will follow, in order to finance a rollout. Similarly, Sistema is looking to invest further in Shyam Telelink.

Swam MD Shahid Balwa has told Reuters that they have spectrum for 10 circles, including Delhi, and licenses for 13 circles. They will be launching their operations in the first quarter of the next fiscal.

Etisalat already has a presence in India, via its data services subsidiary Technologia, which operates out of Bangalore. The next challenge for the deal will be getting an approval from India’s Foreign Investment Promotion Board: Etisalat has operations in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Indonesia. There may be security concerns raised around the Pakistan investment. Note that another telco scouting acquisitions in India – Telenor has investments in Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

Find out how people’s health data is understood to have value and who can benefit from that value.

News

The US and other countries' retreat from a laissez-faire approach to regulating markets presents India with a rare opportunity.

News

When news that Walmart would soon accept cryptocurrency turned out to be fake, it also became a teachable moment.

News

The DSCI's guidelines are patient-centric and act as a data privacy roadmap for healthcare service providers.

News

In this excerpt from the book, the authors focus on personal data and autocracies. One in particular – Russia.  Autocracies always prioritize information control...

You May Also Like

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ