wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

@ MoMo Mumbai: Arvind Rao’s Solution For Mobile Content Billing Issues In India

Arvind Rao, CEO of OnMobile has no issue with regulation of the VAS industry, but only for preventing fly-by-night operators, and limiting regulation to the quality of service issues. "I have a severe problem with licensing," he said, speaking at the Mobile Monday Mumbai earlier this week. Over the past few years, the issue of billing reconciliation and auditing has been raised repeatedly - that for content, telecom operators do not give audited downloads, and there are "billing leakages" (i.e. underreporting of downloads), and content owners not being paid in time. Rao believes that one needs to understand the complexity of the billing system, and cut the operator some slack - "Today OnMobile handles 8 Billion calls a month. For every call, the length of the call, which content, who should be paid the royalty - Hungama, PPL, Saregama...it's a monumental task. We have a huge software for billing and MIS. On an average, the error is not more than 2-3 percent. But that is only when you're operating at a very huge scale such as ours. We have to understand the nuances which are typical of the operators." His solution: "there could be some regulation wherein the operators have to pay up 90 percent of the bill within 30 days, and the remaining 10 percent can be dealt with later." Related: “Don’t Compare The US Market For VAS To The Indian Market”, Says Viren Popli, SVP & Head (Mobile Ent), STAR India

Please subscribe/login to read the full story.
Written By

Free Reads

News

Tata Restart website was using the trademark of Tata Sons and the image of Ratan Tata.

News

The hackers used the fake Facebook ads to target people based in European countries, specially male users, said the report

News

GPT-4 Turbo with Vision builds upon the foundation of the GPT-4 model, integrating the enhanced token outputs introduced in the Turbo model, and now...

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

NPCI CEO Dilip Asbe recently said that what is not written in regulations is a no-go for fintech entities. But following this advice could...

News

Notably, Indus Appstore will allow app developers to use third-party billing systems for in-app billing without having to pay any commission to Indus, a...

News

The existing commission-based model, which companies like Uber and Ola have used for a long time and still stick to, has received criticism from...

News

Factors like Indus not charging developers any commission for in-app payments and antitrust orders issued by India's competition regulator against Google could contribute to...

News

Is open-sourcing of AI, and the use cases that come with it, a good starting point to discuss the responsibility and liability of AI?...

You May Also Like

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ