Viu has said that the supernatural thriller will be called Gehraiyaan while Spotlight will be the working title of the show based on the life of a Bollywood star. The cast of Gehraiyaan will include Sanjeeva Sheikh, Vatsal Sheth, Trishaan Maini and Kajal Pisa. Spotlight, the story of a small town girl who becomes a star, will star Trisha Choudhury, who has previously acted in Bengali and Telugu films and television shows. The cast will also include Arif Zakaria, Sid Makkar, Krunal Pandit and Rajesh Khera. Both shows will go live on Viu in February 2017.
January 5, 2017
Vuclip’s video on demand service, Viu has commissioned two original shows by film director and producer, Vikram Bhatt, reports Indiantelevision.com. The report says that the shows will be co-produced by Bhatt and YouTube Multi-Channel Network Culture Machine and will be released exclusively on Viu in 2017. Of the two shows, one will be a super natural thriller while the other will be a show based on the life of a Bollywood star and the journey to stardom.
In November 2016, the platform had launched a micro original series with Cricketer Virender Sehwag called Viru Ke Funde.
Launched in March 2016, Viu is a freemium video on demand service that charges Rs 99 per month for subscription to provide ad-free viewing of content and access to exclusive content. The free content comes with a 30 day free access to premium content which is available only to paid customers otherwise. The payment options include Paytm, carrier billing, Google billing, Maxis billing, credit & debit card and in-app billing for iOS. Viu is currently present in India, Malaysia and Indonesia. The platform claims to Asian content in 34 different languages from more than 270 top content providers around the world.
Other recent original content deals
- In December 2016, Eros Now partnered with LycaTV for making its content available over the latter’s platform.
- In Novemebr 2016, Balaji Telefilms’ digital company ALT Digital announced its plans to launch its first web series starring Nimrat Kaur, directed by Nagesh Kukunoor.
- In October 2016, Viacom18’s online video streaming platform VOOT launched an original video show called “It’s Not That Simple.”
- In September, Netflix announced the Indian launch of original standup comedy series with comedian Vir Das.
- In July 2016, Sony Pictures Networks India’s web streaming platform SonyLIV launched a new web series called ‘Lost & Found.’
- In June 2016, Netflix tied up with Phantom Films to create its first original series in India based on author Vikram Chandra’s book Sacred Games.
- In March 2016, YouTube along with its content partners Culture Machine, Only Much Louder(OML), Qyuki and The Viral Fever (TVF) announced its plans to launch original properties related to beauty and style Beauty Hunt, Comedy Hunt and #LaughterGames, a comedy web series from multiple creators including East India Comedy
- In January 2016, Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra partnered with subscription-based video streaming service nexGTv to air an original show called ‘It’s my city.’