What’s a few million when you have 915 million active mobile connections in India? The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, so it includes users roaming from on another telecom operators network (for example, Airtel, Idea and Vodafone have intra-circle roaming or ICR arrangements which allow 3G users from Airtel to roam on an Idea 3G network). These are counted as separate Internet connections, and there is also multi-SIM usage, so the number of connections should not be seen as active users.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 96.88%, followed by Vodafone at 95.08%.
– There were 915.14 million active connections in the month of June 2016.
– Idea has 103.96% of connections active on its network – the highest among all telcos. TRAI says the percentage of active connections is more than 100% due to in-roamers i.e. subscribers from other operators roaming in Idea’s network.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 247.75 million connections followed by Vodafone at 189.57 million connections.
Mobile operator leaderboard for June 2016 (total connections):
– Airtel added 1.40 million connections, taking its connection base to 255.73 million.
– BSNL added 1.30 million connections, taking its connection base to 89.54 million.
– Idea added 0.68 million connections, taking its connection base to 176.23 million.
– RCom lost 2.65 million connections, taking its connection base to 98.70 million.
Top 4 telcos have 76% of total active connections
The top three telecom operators in India – Vodafone, Airtel and Idea Cellular – added 0.24 million active connections in June 2016, accounting for 68% of active connections, and lost 1% of total active added connections. With Reliance Communications, the top four now account for 76% of active connections.
Their growth is outpacing the rest as together, they accounted for more active connections during the month (68%) than all the telecom operators combined, while some of the rest lost connections.
– In terms of active connections, Madhya Pradesh leads with 93.01% active connections, followed by Kerala, West Bengal and Maharashtra. North East has just 79.92% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections at 93.99 million (93,990,873 connections). Maharashtra is second with 84.29 million connections (84,298,847 connections) and Tamil Nadu is third with 81.37 million connections (81,379,994 connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 24.71%, followed by Vodafone at 19.26%, Idea at 17.03%, Reliance at 9.54% and BSNL at 8.65%.
Download: Press Release
– Active mobile connections in India declined by 1.5M in May 2016: TRAI
– Active Mobile connections in India declined by 2.4 million in April 2016: TRAI
– India had 936 million active mobile connections in March 2016: TRAI
– India added 7.63M active mobile connections in February 2016
– India added 5.57M active mobile connections in January’16
– India added 4.92M active mobile connections in December’15; RCOM Loses 5.92M