Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra has partnered with subscription-based video streaming service nexGTv to air an original show called “It’s my city.” This is nexGTv’s first shot at making original content for the web. The show will be a 14-part mobile only series and episodes will air every Friday and Tuesday.
The show was produced by celebrity digital network Fluence, media company Endemol Shine and Chopra’s production company Purple Pebble Pictures. The series will be made available to other Indian languages, including Tamil and Telugu, and netGTV is scouting for advertisers.
The show revolves around the everyday lives and struggles of four young girls living together in the same flat in Mumbai. Chopra appears in the show as the official landlady, unofficial guardian and protective friend.
SPOTLight for amateur filmmakers
Earlier in December, film director Imtiaz Ali tied up with nexGTv to launch a digital platform called SPOTLight where filmmakers and content creators can post their original short videos across genres. Ali would judge the 5 most-viewed videos on the app every month, out of which one will win a prize of Rs 1 lakh and the second prize winner will get Rs 25,000 to make their next video. Interestingly, creators who upload their videos will get paid 11 paise per view after they cross 3,000 page views.
Growth in original programming for web and mobile
As Internet speeds get faster and the Internet becomes more accessible, to differentiate everyone wants original content, especially after Netflix’s entry. The race is seriously heating up
– In November 2015, the company said it is planning to launch original Bollywood and animation programming aimed at non-US markets.
– Earlier this month, Spuul said it would be premiering Drishyam Films’ ‘X: Past is Present’ starring Rajat Kapoor and Anshuman Jha. The movie also features other Bollywood actors such as Huma Qureshi, Radhika Apte, Swara Bhaskar.
– Balaji Telefilms’ digital subsidiary ALT Digital said it would develop content in Hindi and English. The company said it would move “beyond the current themes of television entertainment to set a new bench-mark with younger, edgier and smarter contemporary content that merits a different medium”
– In July 2015, Eros International said it would produce three original shows which will be streamed on its video on demand platform Eros Now. Eros Now would also premiere some of its recent Bollywood releases on the digital platform first and then on TV. Khel is drama revolving around the world of cricket and the Indian Premier League. The Client, is a thriller with Bipasha Basu as the lead of the show. Ponniyin Selvan is a period drama based on a popular Tamil historical novel by Kalki Krishnamurthy produced by Eros’ south division.
– Hotstar, Star India’s streaming service, signed up comedy collective All India Bakchod for a news comedy series called “On Air with AIB”.
– We’re still waiting for the second season of The Viral Fever’s ‘The Pitchers’.