Online cab aggregator Uber has launched UberASSIST, a service which provides additional assistance for the differently abled and senior citizens, in its UberX service in Delhi. This service is already live in some of Uber’s other markets worldwide, and the company plans to launch this service in other cities in India soon.
The company has tied up with iCare Life, which provided Uber’s drivers with training to assist riders with accessibility needs like getting in and out of the car, folding and storing wheelchairs, walkers and scooters for transport. The program will also train drivers on spotting visible and invisible disability needs and give communication tips on how to ask the right questions to the riders.
How it works:
- Open the Uber app
- Enter the code ‘ASSISTDEL’ in the promotions tab to unlock uberASSIST service
- Select the “uberASSIST” option above the slider
- Set the location to take the ride
UberASSIST was launched in Singapore in October, where it worked with the Disabled People’s Association of Singapore to understand needs of riders with disabilities.
Similar cabs services for people with disability:
– In Bangalore, KickStart Cabs provides cabs which are remodeled for seating, entering and exiting the car, and says that its drivers are trained to assist its riders to escort them to and from their venues. People without disabilities can also use the service, according to the company. Its sister concern Wheels of Change works on creating awareness, training and demonstration on inclusion for people with disabilities.
– Mobility India offers a similar service, called Accessible Mobile Taxi, for wheelchair users in Bangalore. It offers a ramp for wheelchairs and says that its drivers provide assistance in escorting the passengers. The organisation launched the service in association with the Jaipur Limb Campaign and UK based Andersen Consulting in 2000.
Other Uber developments:
– Yesterday, Uber announced that developers of Android and iOS apps would be able to integrate Uber’s “Ride Request” button on their apps, showing next to every address or ‘intent to ride’ feature in their apps.
– In September, Uber announced that it would launch its car-pooling product UberPOOL in Bangalore in beta. UberPOOL currently exists in San Francisco, New York city, Boston, Austin and Paris where it has been around for a few months.
Our Uber coverage here.