Television and film production house Balaji Telefilms has appointed Nachiket Pantvaidya as chief executive officer of its digital arm ALT Digital Media Entertainment. Pantvaidya will be responsible for the the profit and loss of operations, content, marketing, distribution and revenues of the company.
Prior to ALT Digital, Pantvaidya functioned as the business head of Sony Entertainment Television. He was also the Business Head of Star Plus and held several roles in the Star TV network, including Head of Star Pravah and Managing Director of Fox Television Studios. In addition, he has also held key management roles in BBC and Disney.
In August, the company announced the launch of ALT Digital as the company forayed into the digital content business, for “the next growth driver.” The launch of ALT Digital Media will take place in early 2016. Balaji says it will move “beyond the current themes of television entertainment to set a new bench-mark with younger, edgier and smarter contemporary content that merits a different medium.”
This is the group’s second attempt at digital: it had first launched a series of digital initiatives a little over five years ago, in June 2010, with a show called Bol Niti Bol, which was similar to a YouTube success that time called LonelyGirl15.
In 2011, Balaji Telefilms sold its mobile content production business for a total of Rs 8.37 crore to an undisclosed party.
– ALT Digital also appointed Sunil Nair as chief operating officer, who will be responsible for building an original video on demand platform and establishing a distribution network. Nair had previously worked with One Channel Media LLC, Reliance Jio and Star India among others. He also setup an online distribution platform called Nautanki.tv which was acquired by Hungama Digital.
– Sudarshan Kadam is Head, Alliance and Partnerships at ALT Digital and has over 13 years of experience in business development, content acquisition and digital distribution of games, news and VOD content.
– Ashish Bhansali is now product head for ALT Digital. Bhansali was responsible for leading digital technology products in corporates as well as start-ups including Starplayer, Bigflix, Eemli.com and Clapshare.
– Meenakshi Mediratta heads the digital marketing team at ALT Digital. Prior to this, Mediratta worked around nine years in Mindshare working across categories like FMCG, Airline, Financial Services and Telecom for brands like Idea, Castrol, Kellogs, Pepsico, Lufthansa, Amex, Nestle and Godrej.
– ALT digital also appointed Joyce Andrade who will be responsible for content, product and ad operations. She worked with digital media companies like Star India (Indya/MyStar), Zee Entertainment (Ditto TV) and Spuul.