Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) has appointed Sundar Raman as the CEO-Sports, reports LiveMint. In his new role, Raman will be responsible for consolidation and integration of RIL’s sports properties, including integration with digital services offered by Jio.
Prior to this, Raman was the chief operating officer of the Indian Premier League (IPL) tournament since its inception in 2008. He resigned from the BCCI (Board of Cricket Control in India) just two weeks ago. Before this he worked at Mindshare Fulcrum, where he joined in 2000, to be promoted as the north India head in 2004 before being assigned the role of MD in 2006.
Note that IndiaWin Sports, a group company of RIL owns the Mumbai Indians IPL cricket team. Similarly, the Indian Super League, a football tournament, is owned by IMG Reliance, a joint venture between RIL, IMG and Star India. IMG also has the commercial rights for sponsorship, advertising, broadcasting, merchandising and franchising rights for basketball in the country, which it acquired it in a 30 year deal from the Basketball Federation of India. IMG also organizes and promotes the Chennai Open, a badminton tournament.
Other changes at Reliance Jio:
– In May, Reliance Jio appointed Shamik Das as its chief corporate development officer. In his new position Das would be responsible for assessing customer readiness for 4G data in cities where Jio will roll out 4G voice and data services.
– The same month, Reliance Jio appointed Pradeep Shrivastava as its chief marketing officer. In his new position, Shrivastava would be responsible for leading the marketing functions for Jio.
– In April, Reliance Jio roped in Anand Narang, former Huawei India devices marketing head, to head the marketing division of the company. Narang will report to former BlackBerry India chief Sunil Dutt who had joined as president of devices business at Reliance Jio mid-2014.
– In February, Jio Infocomm’s president Sumit D Chowdhury stepped down from his position. Chowdhury had joined Reliance Jio Infocomm as its Chief Information Officer in September 2012, and after one year had moved up to being the President of the company. He also led the company’s efforts in smart cities, Internet of Things and machine to machine (M2M) communications.
– In the same time frame, Sandip Das stepped down as the managing director of Reliance Jio. Das had joined Reliance Jio from Maxis in May 2013. Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani had said in a letter to the Reliance Retail team then that Das would work as a mentor for the Jio division of Reliance Retail.