Sundeep Malhotra, who stepped down as CEO of Homeshop 18 yesterday, has launched a new interior design and home design platform called Renomania. Malhotra confirmed the development to MediaNama but declined to give further details.
The venture’s other co-founders are Atrash Aman, former chief operating officer of Homeshop 18 where he was responsible for setting up the company’s vendor and sourcing platform, Ritu Malhotra and Navneet Malhotra, both directors at A.A. Design Consultants. A.A. Design Consultants is an architectural and design consultancy firm which has handled a number of projects which includes schools, hospitals, hotels and other residential projects.
A who.is search showed that Renomania was registered in December 2014 by Ritu Malhotra and was last updated on August 7, 2015.
Renomania will allow users to build the kind of homes or interiors by browsing through photos and build a scrapbook. It will also allow users to get in touch with contractors, consultants and brands. So far, the website has photos for kitchens, bath rooms, living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms, decor among others. The looks for the rooms seem to be curated by other interior designers and architects and it looks like they’re trying to be Pinterest for home decor which can also facilitate experts who can get the particular look.
For professionals, Renomania allows them to showcase their work via an account where they can upload their project pictures, create scrapbooks and show them to prospective clients.
The website also has a blog section which features content on how to get a particular look and feel for a room.
– There’s Hyderabad-based interior design and home decor company Foyr, which raised $1 million from Astarc Ventures earlier this month. Foyr lets users customize and buy furniture and home decor on both, desktop and its mobile app. The platform also offers users with a selection of pre designed rooms to pick from for their homes.
– In May, personalised home furnishings provider Livspace acquired the curated online network of interior designers Dwll.in. In April, Livspace acquired the design community and marketplace for consumers and design professionals, DezignUp, for an undisclosed amount. In December last year, Livspace raised $4.6 million in a series A round of funding led by Helion Venture Partners and Bessemer Venture Partners, with participation from Jungle Ventures and other Indian investors.
– In June, online home furnishing portal BedBathMore.com acqui-hired graphic art marketplace Crude Area in an all stock deal. BedBathmore also bought Homado.com, a marketplace for interior designers to showcase their portfolio, expertise and ideas. With the acquisition Homado.com’s community of close to 3,000 architects and interior designers have been integrated into BedBathMore.
– Bangalore-based online marketplace for fixed furniture HomeLane, raised $4.5 million in funding from Sequoia Capital with participation in individual capacity from Manipal Education and Medical Group’s Ranjan Pai and Manipal Global Education’s Mohandas Pai in February this year.
– PepperFry raised $15 million from Bertelsmann India Investments (BII) and Norwest Venture Partners in May last year. Mumbai-based online interior designing marketplace Nestopia.com had also secured an undisclosed amount in funding from Century Plywood in the same month.
– German startup incubator Rocket Internet, which operates FabFurnish in India, had closed a $500 million investment from existing investors in July 2013. Post investment, it was looking to launch e-commerce companies in the fashion, general merchandise and furniture sectors in countries like India, Europe, Africa and others. Rocket Internet’s MO has been to introduce successful business models in new markets and aggressively scale them.
– Earlier in April, Bangalore-based online furniture store Urban Ladder raised $50 million in a series C round of funding led by Sequoia Capital with participation from TR Capital and existing investors Steadview Capital, Kalaari Capital and SAIF Partners. The platform will use the funding for expanding to new cities, investing in technology and hiring.