MediaNama (www.medianama.com) is a leading online media company covering news and providing analysis on India’s digital (Internet and mobile) ecosystem. We provide our readership of business leaders with incisive inputs on industry developments, and take a pan-digital perspective. We cover what matters, and work with integrity and transparency. We are opinionated, without fear or favor.
We’re looking to hire three experienced journalists, two in Delhi and one in Bangalore. We expect to close these positions by the middle of August, latest by August end.
- Track & report current events & news in Internet and Mobile domain
- Analyse information and present in a concise manner
- Talk to hundreds of people in the digital domain. Go get stories. Do interviews. Work with data. Identify trends.
- Track international developments in Internet and Mobile domains
- You must be open to taking on additional responsibility during events and conferences.
We’re looking for candidates with at least 3 (three) years of experience in reporting on business or technology. You must either know technology or business well. Preferably, both.
1. What do you want to do? You need to know and be passionate about the digital (Internet and/or mobile) medium in India. You need to live and breathe digital, and be someone who is always connected. This domain should matter to you. You have to tell us what in digital matters to you and why.
2. What kind of a person are you?
- You need to be obsessive about details, and have a strong sense of skepticism and understanding of logic. For us, being the best is usually more important than being the first.
- You need to be comfortable with ambiguity: ours is a fast paced business, you will have to learn to work with limited information at your disposal, and take decisions quickly. You need to have an eye for news, and a desire to get the news first.
- You need to be social: being active on social networks, especially Twitter, is a must. We’re a part of a community, and support them, just as they support us.
3. What can you do?
- You need to have excellent command of the English language – both written and spoken English.
- Business and/or tech news reporting experience is preferred. Both is ideal. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in reportage on digital businesses.
- Preference would be given to candidates with online work experience, or at least having blogged for a few years. You need to have basic working knowledge of HTML, and familiarity with WordPress.
- email email@example.com your CV and three of your best writing samples (or links to them). Write a convincing cover letter.
- Based on pre-screening, we’ll schedule a call
- Following the call (typically 10-15 min), all selected applicants will need to do a test.
- Post test, we’ll finalize terms on call, followed by an appointment letter.
How we work:
Those in Delhi would need to work out of our Civil Lines office. We’re at 10 minute walk from the Civil Lines metro station. We also work remotely, with most of our team working from home. As long as there is connectivity and you’re working, you could be in the hills or on a beach. We’re connected all the time, collaborating on chat, whatsapp, calls, and using online tools. We help each other do better work, and improve with each story. We focus on details, sense trends.