Update: The Mary Meeker report has been updated to remove a slide regarding online wallets in India. This story has been updated to indicate the same.
Yesterday: Mary Meeker, a partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPCB) and former Internet analyst has released her latest report on Internet Trends. Here are some highlights from the report:
– E-commerce on mobile is booming and India is leading the world when it comes to using mobile devices for shopping. According to the report 41% of e-commerce in India is through mobile phones and devices.
– The report also shows why Flipkart is pushing for an app-only model. In India, more than 70% of the business of the gross mechandise value (GMV) is from mobile devices.
– 65% of the Internet traffic in India comes from mobile devices and is only second to Nigeria’s 76%.
– India has the third largest number of Internet users in the world with 232 million users. India added 63 million users in 2014, reflecting a 37% year-on-year growth. According to the report there are now over 2.8 billion people connected to the Internet.
– Smartphone subscriptions in India were growing 55% year-on-year while Internet users grew at 33% year-on-year.
– The top Android applications in the country are WhatsApp, Facebook, MX Player, Messenger and Truecaller.
– In terms of monthly active users (MAUs), India is either at position 2 or 1 for most Internet services and social networks. India has 112 million MAUs on Facebook making it its second largest market. With 70 million MAUs, India is Whatsapp’s largest market. There are also 24 million active Indian LinkedIn users, making it the second largest market for the professional networking site.
You can read the full report here: