According to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI, India added 9.29 million “active” mobile connections during the month of January 2015.
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month. Some stats:
– There were 842.34 million active connection in the month of January.
– Strangely, Idea apparently has 101.85% of connections active on its network – the highest among all telcos. TRAI says the percentage of active connections is more than 100% due to in-roamers i.e. subscribers from other operators roaming in Idea’s network.
– RCOM has the second highest active connection base of 97.55%, followed by Airtel at 95.87%.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 210.96 million connections followed by Vodafone at 171.50 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For January 2015 (Total Connections):
– Airtel added 2.83 million connections, taking its connection base to 220.05 million.
– Idea added 2.34 million connections, taking its connection base to 152.88 million.
– Vodafone added 1.81 million connections, taking its connection base to 180.49 million.
– BSNL lost 1.23 million connections, taking its connection base to 80.14 million.
– In terms of active connections, Assam leads with 94.35% active connections, followed by Kerala, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh. Tamil Nadu has just 76.70% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 81.46 million connections (81,463,728 connections). Tamil Nadu is second with 79.93 million connections (79,931,918 connections) and Maharashtra is third with 75.48 million connections (75,485,706 connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 23.11%, followed by Vodafone at 18.95%, Idea at 16.05%, Reliance at 11.19% and BSNL at 8.42%.
– 833M Active Mobile Connections In India in Dec 2014
– 824M Active Mobile Connections In India in Nov 2014; RCOM Loses 4.23M
– September 2014: 812.06M Active Mobile Connections In India
– August 2014: 807.30M Active Mobile Connections In India
– July 2014: 797.08M Active Mobile Connections In India; BSNL Loses 1.39M Connections