Idea Cellular has reported standalone revenues of Rs 7,567.3 crore for the quarter ended September 30, 2014, registering a minor 0.15% growth from Rs 7,556.2 crore and a 19.8% growth year-on-year (YoY).
This was driven by a 17% annual growth in voice minutes of use (MoUs) and 125.9% growth in Mobile Data Volume. (Read about the company’s mobile Internet performance here). Idea Cellular claims a revenue market share of 17.1% in Q1-FY15, an improvement of over 0.9% over the last year.
The profit after tax for the telco however declined to Rs 779.4 crore for the quarter, down 22.97% from Rs 1,011.7 crore profit in the previous quarter. EBITDA also declined to Rs 2,239.4 crore for the quarter, down from 2,259.6 in the previous quarter.
– Connection base grew to 143.6 million (2G+3G), up from 139 million in the previous quarter and 127.2 billion in the same quarter last year.
– Average Realised Rate per Minute (ARPM) improved to Rs 0.459 from Rs 0.451 in the previous quarter and from Rs 0.447 in the same quarter last year.
– ARPU declined to Rs 176 from Rs 181 in the previous quarter but increased from Rs 164 in the same quarter last year.
– Average minutes of use declined to 384 per connection, from 401 per connection in the previous quarter but up from 368 in the same quarter last year.
– Prepaid subscribers: 95.7% of total subscriber base, same as the previous quarter.
– Churn: 5% blended churn, up from 4.6%. Prepaid churn was up at 5.1%, from 4.7% the previous quarter; postpaid churn declined to 2.7%, from 4.9% in the previous quarter.
– Minutes of Use: The total number of minutes on network was at 162.45 billion for the quarter, down from 165.2 billion in the previous quarter but up from 138.8 billion in the same quarter last year.
– MNP: Idea claims a net gain of 10.8 million connections so far, via MNP (i.e. porting in minus porting out, as of September 30, 2014)
Idea Money: Idea Cellular mentions that its mobile money service ‘Idea Money‘ also went live in Mumbai in July 2014 and it plans to extend this service to other cities in a phased manner in FY15.
The service currently allows Idea subscribers to conduct various transactions like prepaid mobile recharges, DTH recharges, utility bill payments and postpaid bill payments among others. More on Idea Money’s offerings here.
Axis Bank Tie-up: Idea mentions that it has acquired over 86,000 savings accounts customers in four circles (Mumbai, Delhi, UP East and Bihar) through its Banking correspondent tie-up with Axis Bank. The company is now evaluating the existing business model in line with regulation changes. (Read: RBI releases draft guidelines for allowing Telcos, Wallet co’s to set up Payment Banks)
Besides this, Idea also plans to increase the coverage of its cash remittance service in existing cities like Mumbai, Delhi and select towns in UP and Bihar and expand to new geographies later. Idea had tied-up with Axis Bank to launch this service in December last year. It initially supported NEFT remittances and added support for IMPS in May this year.
Rs 750 Crore Investment: In July 2014, Idea Cellular raised Rs 750 crore by allotting 51.84 million equity shares at an issue price of Rs 144.68 per Equity Share on preferential basis to its telecom partner – Axiata Investments 2 (India) Limited. Idea mentions that with this investment and Cash Profit of Rs 1,815 crore in the quarter, it has reduced its net debt by Rs 2,150 crore to Rs 11,826.9 crore.