India is in third position internationally, in terms of number of downloads from Google Play Store, according to App Annie Index for 2013. However, it doesn’t figure in the top 10 countries in terms of revenue generated from apps.
App Annie also stated that Brazil, Russia, India and China have made noticeable gains on app store superpowers such as US and UK in terms of downloads, setting the stage for potential strong future growth. Downloads from BRIC countries have increased by 1.8 times and revenues increased by 2.7 times. While it gave country specific download data for Russia and China, it hasn’t shared any similar information for India.
– Google Play led the iOS app store in terms of downloads by over 15% in 2013, but iOS apps however made twice as much money as Google Play apps.
– Games continued to be the most popular category in iOS and Google Play Store combined in terms of downloads, followed by Entertainment and Photo and Video apps.
– Games continued to top the chart in terms of revenue from these two stores, followed by Social Networking and Music apps. It needs to be noted that Social Networking and Music categories have gained five positions from 2012.
– On Google Play Store, Games was the most popular category in terms of downloads, followed by Communication (up two places) and Tools (down one place). In terms of revenues, Games was the biggest, followed by Communication (up three places) and Social (up one place).
– Japan and South Korea have overtaken US to be the most revenue generating countries on Google Play Store. Hong Kong has also made a big jump to the ninth spot in 2013 from number 18 in 2012.
– Hong Kong, Indonesia, Mexico, Taiwan and Thailand are markets to watch out for and their combined downloads increased by 1.6 times and revenues by 2.8 times.
– Combined spend on iOS and Android Play Store was three times what was spent on traditional handheld gaming devices.
– 93% of free games have in-app purchases, up from 86% in 2012.
– Among non-game apps, 57% free apps have in-app purchases, up from 46% in 2012.
– Music app revenues increased by 75% in a year and more than ~80% of it came from iOS App Store. It is not clear if this is due to the popularity of iTunes.
– In terms of combined revenue made on iOS and Google Play Store, Pandora was the most popular music app, followed by Magic Piano and GarageBand.
– Instagram is the most popular photo and video sharing app in terms of downloads ahead of YouTube. However, it needs to be noted that this report only looks at the number of downloads from Play Store and YouTube comes pre-installed in all Google approved Android devices. Snapchat, Vine and LINE Camera came in at third, fourth and fifth respectively.
– Downloads of photo and video apps, including photo editing apps have increased by 55% from 2012.
– Downloads of finance related apps have increased by 55% from 2012, with iOS apps still being downloaded more.
– Chase and Well Fargo were the most downloaded banking apps, while PayPal and AliPay were the most downloaded payment apps. Among finance management apps, 51 Credit Card Butler was the most downloaded, followed by Mint.com
– Plants vs Zombies was the only game made by an international developer that made it to the top 10 downloads list, that was otherwise dominated by Chinese app developers.
– Apps made by Tencent occupied the first three spots among most downloaded games and QQ was the most downloaded app.
– In terms of overall game revenue, Tencent topped the list followed by LocoJoy and Supercell. Gameloft came ninth in the market and Electronic Arts was tenth.
– Among non-game apps, Jiayuan made the most money in China, followed by Momo Technologies and Apple. Apart from Apple, no other international company made it to the top 10.
– LINE was topped both games and apps list.
– In terms of revenue, GungHo Online topped the games list and LINE had to be satisfied with second position.
– Among apps, LINE made the most revenues, followed by GREE and Voltage. It is worth noting that not a single company from outside Japan was able to make it to the top revenue list for games or apps.
– Cookie Run for Kakao was the most popular game in terms of downloads, followed by Everybody’s Marble for Kakao and another local Korean game for Kakao.
– KakaoTalk and KakaoStory were the most popular apps, with Naver coming in third. Facebook was the only western company to make it to the top 10 downloads list.
– In terms of revenue, CJ Group topped the list of game publishers followed by WeMade and Devsisters. Only two non-Korean companies made it to the this top ten lists, with Chinese companies Kalends and Shanda coming in at number eight and ten respectively.
– Among app publishers, Kakao made the most revenue, followed by Samsung Publishing and LOEN. Outfit 7, based out of Cyprus and Sungy Mobile from China were the only two companies that made it to the top 10 at ninth and tenth positions respectively.
– Candy Crush was the most popular game, followed by Temple Run 2 and Despicable Me.
– Facebook was the most popular app, followed by Snapchat and WhatsApp.
– In terms of downloads, Electronic Arts was the top game publisher, followed by King and Gameloft. Rovio, the publishers of Angry Birds was at number four.
– Among app publishers, Google led the list, followed by Facebook and BBC.
– In terms of revenues, King, the developers of Candy Crush Saga topped the games list, followed by Supercell who had made Clash of Clans.
– In terms of revenue made by app publishers, Apple topped the list, followed by TomTom and Match.com.
– Candy Crush Saga was the most downloaded game, followed by Subway Surfers and Temple Run 2.
– Among apps, Facebook was the most popular one, followed by Pandora Radio and Instagram.
– In terms of downloads, Electronic Arts was the most popular publisher, followed by King and Rovio.
– Apps developed by Google were downloaded the most, with Facebook and Disney being the second and third most popular publishers respectively.
– In terms of revenue made by games, Candy Crush Saga topped the list, with Clash of clans and Hay Day coming in at second and third place respectively. None of the games developed by Rovio made it to the list.
– Among apps, Pandora made the most revenue, followed by MLB.com and Comics.
– The success of Candy Crush Saga made King the most revenue making game publisher in this market too, followed by Supercell and Electronic Arts.
– Pandora Radio app made so much money that the company topped Apple and Disney in terms of revenue from apps.