Home » , , , , ,

Mobango In 2013: Android Contributes 37% Of 95M Game Downloads & 80% Of New Games


Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn0Email this to someone
Mobango Logo

Mauj Mobile (People Group) owned mobile app store and content marketplace Mobango claims to have registered more than 45 million game downloads in India in 2013, up 80% from 25 million downloads in 2012.

Overall, the app store claims to have registered 95 million game downloads for 2013, up from 80 million in 2012. Including apps and videos, Mobango claims to have registered 270 million downloads on an annual basis, with India being its single largest market.

The company says games has been its fastest growing segment on mobile in India, in comparison to apps and videos. However, it hasn’t disclosed any split for app and video downloads for the year.

Mobango’s Key Metrics for 2013

Contribution of Android games to total downloads: Contribution of overall game downloads has increased significantly to 37% of total downloads in 2013, up from 28% in 2012. This was driven by a significant increase in Android game downloads which grew by 56% in 2013. The company attributes this increase to users shifting from feature phones to Android smartphones.

On the other hand, the company says that Java downloads made up for a majority 65% of all downloads, primarily due to a large penetration of existing Java handsets. However with Android shipments growing in 2014, Mobango notes this ratio is expected to decline extremely during the year. It believes that Android games will contribute towards 50%-55% of total game downloads for the app store in 2014.

Advertisement

Developer additions: Mobango claims to have added about 1,500- 2,000 gaming developers in 2013. This includes small and mid-size developers.

Games Uploaded: Total games uploaded by both existing and new developers surpassed 15,000 new titles in 2013. Mobango says 80% of these games were Android games while the remaining 20% of titles were Java games.

It also noted that Android titles published by developers like Disney’s Indiagames, Herocraft, GP Imports, Digital Chocolate, Deemedya and Reliance Games grew significantly in the past year.

Samsung Devices Lead In Downloads & User Visits: Samsung was the top most handset brand for Android apps on Mobango in terms of visits in 2013. This was followed by Micromax, Sony Ericsson (now Sony Mobile), LG and HTC. Mobango mentions that Samsung was also the top most handset brand in terms of Android downloads.

For Java platform, Nokia retains its spot with devices like Nokia C series and Asha series registering significant visits and downloads.

85% Of Games Have In-App Advertisement: In-App advertisement was the most preferred business model for 2013, with 85% of titles featuring in-app advertisement powered by SDKs from ad networks like Google, Vserv, Inneractive and others. Only 15% of games currently have in-app purchases through Google Play or telco billing. However, with the carrier billing platform heating up in India, it will be interesting to see if the percentage of games with in-app purchases sees a noteworthy growth during the year.

Action Games Most Downloaded: Similar to what we saw in 2012, Action Games was the most downloaded game category, accounting for 32% of Android downloads and 37% of Java downloads. This was followed by Racing (15% on Android) and arcade games (14% on Android).

Mobango Game Categories

Racing Games Most Engaging: Racing games saw the highest engagement from users, witnessing about 40% higher engagement than other categories. However, Mobango says the overall engagement continues to be low for most games, with an user playing each game about 4- 10 times before moving to other games.

The company notes this issue is probably due to several games using notifications as an advertising channel for other apps or offers, rather than encouraging users to play games more number of times, which leads to users uninstalling games to avoid ads. (Also readImpact of Google Play’s New Policies On Advertising, Payments, Notifications)

Network Conditions & App Size: Mobango says about 60% of its Android users are on WiFi or 3G networks and a faster growth in 3G users will help users access more games, since the sizes of Android games are also increasing significantly. An average size of Android games on Mobango is approximately 8-10 MB and nearly 40% of games have sizes of more than 10 MB.

Mobango App Size

Screen Size: Interestingly, Android devices with a medium screen size (above 240 pixels but below 400 pixels) apparently represented the largest share of traffic in 2013, although the company notes that this is rapidly changing to larger screen devices (above 400 pixels).

Also readMobango Reports 85M Game Downloads In 2012; Top Handsets, Screen Sizes

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn0Email this to someone