While India prepares itself for general election for the 16th Lok Sabha in India in 2014, UPA government has released a report of the achievements that the current party had during its ruling years.
Some of the digital highlights from UPA achievements:
– The government claims that the National Optical Fibre Network (NOFN) project will take broadband connectivity to 2.5 lakh villages in 2014. In all, 5.8 lakh (5,81,610) out of 5.9 lakh (5,93,601) in inhabited villages in country have been provided with village public telephones (VPT). Out of 3.5 lakh targeted village panchayats, 1.5 lakh have been connected through broadband. Note that broadband definition in India is still a 256kbps connection.
– The government claims that annual plan of over 38,400 panchayats for 2012-13 are available online on Plan plus – planningonline.gov.in. eGovernance Mission Mode Project includes planning, monitoring, implementation, budgeting, accounting, social audit, and delivery of citizen services.
– The government approved the National Electronic Policy, 2012 that provides a set of schemes for promotion of domestic electronic industry, that is, preference to domesticaly manufactured electronic goods. It also introduced modified special intensive package and mandatory registration of electronics products for meeting safety standards. Besides, it introduced The Electronic Delivery of Services Bill, 2013 that provides public services to citizens electronically.
– The report talks about 10 million increase in telephone connections in the last year.
– The report claims that the government introduced computerized program in the Income Tax department allowing E-filing IT returns.
– The Ministry of I&B is implementing digitization of cable TV networks which is being implemented in four phases and will be completed by December 2014. The first phase was completed in Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata from October 31, 2012 with 8.5 million cable TV subscribers being digitized. More here.
– A project for modernization and computerization of all post offices in India was approved with an investment of Rs 4909 crore.
– It also rolled out e-Biz Mission Mode Project under National e-governance Plan that makes all business and investment related regulatory services across the State, Central, and Local government available on a single portal. During its pilot phase, a total of 50 services are being implemented across 5 states – Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana, Maharashtra, and Tamil Nadu. The e-Biz portal was launched on January 28, 2013.
– A GAGAN-system satellite was launched to enhance location information received from GPS. More here.
– SEBI permitted setting up stock exchange or trading platform for Small and medium enterprises (SME). Both, Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) and National Stock Exchange (NSE), launched SME exchange platform in 2012.