Revenues from the news business for TV18 declined year on year at Rs 551.8 crore, down from Rs 629.4 crore last fiscal, but were significantly more profitable at an operating level: the News business reported a profit of Rs 104 crore, compared with Rs 50.3 crore last fiscal. Operating margins for the segment improved to 19% from 8% last fiscal.
TV18’s entertainment business, however, showed substantially stronger growth during the year – revenues were Rs 731 crore at a profit of Rs 61.1 crore, up from Rs 624 crore in revenues and Rs 25.6 crore in profit last fiscal, at an operating margin of 8% versus 4%.
General News vs Business News: Revenue from general news channels declined year on year to Rs 256.7 crore, down from Rs 302.8 crore in the previous fiscal but reported profits of Rs 3.2 crore for the fiscal, as compared to Rs 4.3 crore loss in the previous fiscal. TV18 currently operates general news channels like CNN IBN, IBN7 and IBN Lokmat.
The revenue from business news channels also declined year on year to Rs 295.1 crore, down from Rs 326.6 crore in the previous fiscal but almost doubled its profits to Rs 100.8 crore, up from Rs 54.7 crore profit in the previous fiscal. TV18 currently operates business news channels like CNBC TV18 and CNBC Awaaz and claims that both the channels are the market leaders in its respective categories.
IndiaCast Revenues: IndiaCast, the joint venture between TV18 and Viacom18 which currently manages the TV18′s and Viacom18′s distribution operations reported a net loss of Rs 0.5 crore and total revenue of Rs 390.2 crore for the fiscal. The company also informed that the net distribution revenue was Rs 15.7 crore for the fiscal FY13. Net Distribution revenue is the subscription revenues earned by the company after deducting the carriage fees and any promotions or commission paid during the quarter. TV18’s broadcasting operations started reporting net distribution income from Q2 2013.
Since its launch in June 2012, Indiacast has inked several distribution partnerships with iStream, Zee New Media’s Ditto TV, DigiVive’s nexGTv and Reliance Entertainment’s BigFlix.com. It had also formed a joint venture with UTV Global Broadcasting Ltd (UGBL), a DisneyUTV group company for the aggregation and wholesale distribution business of TV channels in India.
ETV Operations: Network18 informed that the integration of ETV’s non-Telugu News division to its Entertainment operations is on track. ETV News reported Rs 37.7 crore revenue and EBITDA profit of 17 crore for the quarter and ETV Entertainment reported Rs 57.2 crore revenue and EBITDA loss of Rs 14.9 crore for the quarter. The company hasn’t disclosed ETV revenues for the entire fiscal.
Infotainment Business: AETN-18 India, the joint venture between Network18 group and A&E Television Networks, has reported a net loss of Rs 26.1 crore for the fiscal, a significant improvement from Rs 48 crore loss in the previous fiscal. The total revenues stood at Rs 39.5 crore for the fiscal FY13, up from Rs 8.9 crore in the previous fiscal.
– TV18 has reported an operating profit of Rs 112.1 crore and total revenues of Rs 1,699.1 crores for the fiscal, as compared to Rs 61.8 operating loss and total revenues of Rs 1409.9 crore in the previous fiscal.
– For the quarter ending March 31, 2012, TV18 reported an operating profit of Rs 34.6 crores and a profit after tax of Rs. 17.3 crore. It reported total revenues of Rs 474.7 crore for the quarter.
– The broadcasting and motion pictures operations reported a profit of Rs 165 crores during the year (excluding one-time expenses/revenues and losses towards our new launches and discontinued operations) more than doubling over Rs. 75.9 crores last year.
– Net Distribution Income was positive, at Rs. 116.9 crores over the previous year.
– Net debt at a consolidated level now stands at Rs. 197 crores, which, according to Network18 MD Raghav Bahl, is at one fifth of its peak levels.
– Advertising revenues was Rs 1,048.3 crore for the fiscal FY13, up from Rs 972.7 crore in the previous fiscal.