India has finally crossed the landmark figure of 15 million broadband connections: increasing 0.24% month on month to 15.01 million at the end of January 2013, as per the Indian Telecom regulator TRAI. This is, of course, a good opportunity to remind you that India’s target for 2010 was 20 million broadband connections, and we optimistically hope that will be reached before 2015.
Meanwhile, the country’s mobile operators appear to be cleaning up their act: the total number of mobile connections in the country (including multi-SIM and inactive connections) has dropped to 862.62 Million in January, even as the active mobile connection base increases: 708.04 million mobile connections in India – around 82.08% of total – are active. Don’t confuse this with mobile users, though, since it includes multi-SIM users.
Active User Base of Telecom Operators
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
– There were 708.04 million active connection in the month of January.
– Idea has 98.55% of its connections active– the maximum among all the operators.
– Vodafone has the second highest active connection base of 95.18%, followed by Airtel at 95.12%.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 175.20 million, Vodafone at 140.58 million.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For January 2013:
– Idea added 2.45 million connections,taking its connection base to 116.39 million.
– Bharti Airtel added 2.28 million connections,taking its connection base to 184.19 million.
– BSNL added 0.31 million connections,taking its connection base to 100.24 million.
– Vodafone added 0.22 million connections,taking its connection base to 147.70 million.
– In terms of Active connections, Maharashtra leads with 88.15% active connections, followed by Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Rajasthan. Tamil Nadu has just 73.79% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 72,247,564 connections.Tamil Nadu is second with 72,173,592 and Maharashtra is third, with 66,943,083 connections.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 21.35%, Vodafone is at 17.12%,Reliance at 13.71%,Idea at 13.49% and BSNL at 11.62%.
– Dec 2012: India’s Mobile Base Down 25.8M; Active Base Down 5.6M
– November 2012: Total 707.31M Active Mobile Base In India ; 14.88M Broadband
– October 2012: Total 703.94M Active Mobile Base In India ; 14.81M Broadband
– Total 699.00M Active Mobile Base In India, End September 2012; 15.08M Broadband; Airtel, Vodafone & Idea Lose Subscribers
– Total 701.88M Active Mobile Base In India, End August 2012; 14.82M Broadband; Uninor, Airtel, Idea & Vodafone Lose Subscribers