Delhi has been ranked as the top city transacting most on eBay India, followed by Mumbai, Jaipur and Bangalore, according to a report from the company called eBay India Census 2012.
State-wise, Maharashtra has registered the highest number of transactions on eBay India, followed by Delhi, Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu.
Methodology: eBay Census 2012 has been compiled based on all the online transactions by Indians on eBay between July 1, 2011 and December 31, 2012. The report has compiled data from different Indian cities, states and union territories based on the number of transactions on the eBay India site during the mentioned time period. It also includes information retail import and export between global and Indian consumers on eBay.
Findings in the eBay Census 2012:
- eBay India claims to have 4,306 e-commerce hubs in India which includes 1,815 rural hubs, 523 export hubs, 2,638 import hubs, 201 global buying hubs and 141 global selling hubs.
- It also claims to have around 30,000 sellers on the portal and over 2 million products for sale on eBay India every day. The company had claimed to have around 4 million monthly unique users as of March 2012.
- The report states that laptop accessories, men’s wallet, tablet, men’s wrist watches and modems were the top five traded items on eBay India.
- Top five exported items on eBay include natural diamonds, fashion necklaces, homeopathy herbal remedies, sarees and gardening supplies
- Top five imported items on eBay are smart phones, natural diamonds, wrist watches, fashion necklaces and mobile screen protectors
- Top ten brands on eBay are Samsung, Apple, Sony, Nokia, Sandisk, Blackberry, Canon, Transcend, Micromax and Nikon. eBay India claims that Samsung is the top brand being transacted in 7 out of 10 top cities. While Sony was the top brand in Chennai, Nokia was the top brand in Kolkata and SanDisk was the top brand in Ahmedabad.
- Some of the states where volume of eBay transactions seem to have dropped are Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand, Goa, West Bengal and Haryana.
- Some of the states were transactions seem to have gone up include Kerala, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Chattisgarh, Bihar and Pondicherry.
- Top ten rural hubs are Guntur (Andhra), Choryasi (Gujarat), Karthikapally (Kerala),Villupuram (TN), Dindori (Maharashtra), Jalgaon (Maharashtra), Chirayinkeezhu (Kerala), Kuttalam (TN), Kunnathunad (Kerala), Kadma (Jharkhand)
- Top 5 traded items in rural hubs include Mobile phone cases, Republic Day notes, modem, blue tooth headsets and tablets
- Top 5 exported items in rural hubs include Natural diamonds, salwar kameez, temporary tattoos, decorative crystals and sarees
- Top 5 imported items in rural hubs include Smart phones, wrist watches, GPS holders, solar energy panels, laptops. However it is not clear how many number of each product have been sold on the site or the volume of transactions from the rural hubs.
What are Indian consumers buying on eBay India
eBay India claims to be selling a mobile accessory and health/beauty care product every minute on their site. They also claim to sell a tablet in every 15 minutes, MP3 player in every 30 minutes, a pair footwear in every 16 minutes, a pair of sunglasses every 26 minutes, a television in every 34 minutes and a baby product in every 35 minutes.
In December 2012, eBay India had launched a new daily products section to sell food products such as beverages, snacks & nuts, among others. This section is functioning under a separate sub-domain – daily.ebay.in. The company was also reportedly in talks with Snapdeal to pick up a significant stake in the company. In June 2012, eBay India had launched a new initiative called ‘Powership’ which allowed sellers on eBay to make use of a eBay-powered shipping service to deliver their products to buyers.