Facebook has 71 million monthly active users (MAUs) in India for the quarter ending December 31, 2012, registering a 54% increase from the same quarter last year and a 9.2% increase sequentially, according to the company’s annual report filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). Here are some highlights from the report:
- India A Growth Area: Facebook noted that users in India, Brazil and Indonesia were the key growth areas for the fiscal 2012. Facebook currently has 67 million MAUs in Brazil, a 81% increase from the same period in 2011 and 60 million MAUs in Indonesia. Overall, Facebook has 1.06 billion MAUs as of December 31, 2012, up 25% YoY.
- Growth In DAUs: Facebook also mentioned that it has experienced growth in daily active users (DAUs) and mobile MAUs across all major markets including Brazil, India and Japan, however it hasn’t revealed any specific numbers for these markets. Last week, the company had reported an average Daily Active Users (DAUs) of 618 million and mobile MAUs of 680 million as of December 31, 2012. Facebook had also mentioned that its mobile DAUs exceeded the web DAUs for the first time during the quarter.
- Friend Connections: Facebook currently has more than 150 billion friend connections as of December 31, 2012 and there were more than 50 million Pages with ten or more likes as of December 31, 2012.
- Photos: More than 350 million photos per day were uploaded to Facebook in Q4 2012 and over 240 billion photos have been shared on Facebook till now. Note that this stat doesn’t include user uploads on Instagram, which Facebook acquired last year.
- Payment From Zynga: Facebook earned around 7% of its quartely revenues in Q4 2012 and 9% of its annual revenues from Zynga. This is a significant decline from 11% of its quarterly revenues in Q4 2011 and 12% of its annual revenues for the year 2011. The revenue from Zynga include payments processing fees for the sale of virtual goods and from direct advertising purchased by Zynga. Facebook had started displaying personalized ads and sponsored stories on Zynga.com from June 2012, as per the developer addendums announced in 2011.
- Facebook generated around 51% of its revenues from marketers and app developers based in the United States in 2012, as compared to 56% in 2011. The company attributed this decline to its faster growth rate of International users and expansion of its International sales offices and payment methods. Majority of its revenue outside United States came from Western Europe, Canada, Australia and Brazil.
- False and Duplicate Accounts: Facebook mentioned that around 5% of its 1.06 billion MAUs (around 53 million accounts) were duplicate accounts i.e. an account that a user maintains in addition to their primary account. It also noted that around 1.3% of its MAUs were user-misclassified accounts and around 0.9% of its MAUs were undesirable accounts. User-misclassified accounts are personal accounts created for a business, organization, or non-human entity such as pets rather than Facebook Pages while undesirable accounts are personal accounts created for purposes like spamming, which violate Facebook’s terms of service.
In comparison, Facebook had previously reported that 4.8% of its 955 million MAUs (around 45.8 million accounts) were duplicate accounts while 2.4% were user-misclassified accounts and 1.5% were undesirable accounts as of September 2012.
Download : Facebook 2012 Annual report
- Facebook Asia: ARPU $2.35, 298M Monthly Active Users In Q4-2012
- Facebook Q4 2012 Concall: On Being A Mobile Company & Building New Ad Experiences
- Facebook Claims 30% Of Indian Users Access Only Through Mobile Phones