Reliance Communications has reported a 15.58 million decline in its connection base, down 11.62% from 134.1 million to 118.5 million, although its “Active” mobile connection based declined only by 0.9 million, according to the Indian Telecom regulator TRAI. The company appears to be churning out its inactive subscribers.
This led to a significant decline in India’s mobile connection base, dropping to 864.72 Million in December, from 890.60 Million in November. This is a decrease of 2.91%, around 25.8 million
81.14% of India’s mobile connections are now reportedly active – a total of 701.63 million connections, but this includes multi-SIM users, so the total mobile user base is likely to be smaller.
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
- There were 701.63 million active connections in the month of December.
- The active connections base declined by 5.6M during the month.
- Idea has 98.22% of its connections active - the maximum among all the operators.
- Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 95.00%, followed by Vodafone at 94.10%.
In terms of the number of active subscribers, Airtel leads with 172.81 million, followed by Vodafone at 138.77 million.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For December 2012:
- Rcom lost 15.58 million connections,taking its connection base to 118.52 million.
- Vodafone lost 3.28 million connections,taking its connection base to 147.47 million.
- Tata lost 2.95 million connections,taking its connection base to 69.55 million.
- Bharti Airtel lost 1.70 million connections,taking its connection base to 181.90 million.
- In terms of Active connections, Madhya Pradesh leads with 87.20% active subscribers, followed by Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan. Tamil Nadu has just 71.69% active subscribers, the lowest among all circles.
- Tamil Nadu has the most number of connections, with 73,283,971 connections. UP (East) is second with 71,979,410 and Maharashtra is third, with 66,845,302 connections.
- Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 21.04%, Vodafone is at 17.05%,Reliance at 13.71%,Idea at 13.18% and BSNL at 11.56%.
India’s broadband connection base increased 0.67% to 14.98 million at the end of December 2012, from 14.88 million at the end of November.
- November 2012: Total 707.31M Active Mobile Base In India ; 14.88M Broadband
- October 2012: Total 703.94M Active Mobile Base In India ; 14.81M Broadband
- Total 699.00M Active Mobile Base In India, End September 2012; 15.08M Broadband; Airtel, Vodafone & Idea Lose Subscribers
- Total 701.88M Active Mobile Base In India, End August 2012; 14.82M Broadband; Uninor, Airtel, Idea & Vodafone Lose Subscribers