The numbers are staggering. Telecom operator Reliance Communications reported a substantive increase in all parameters related to data usage for the quarter ending 30th December 2012 (Q3-FY12): data usage on its network has increased by 29.38% to 22512 terabytes from 17400 terabytes last quarter. Its 3G subscriber base is up 27.08% to 6.1 million from 4.8 million; data usage per customer has increased to 280 mb per connection from 232 mb last quarter, and its data subscriber base is up 6.15% to 28 million, from 26 million. RCOM claims that its 3G customer base is the highest in India. Bear in mind that we’re not sure of whether RCOM classifies its EVDO data card users as 3G users or merely “data users”. The company RCOM operates both GSM and CDMA mobile services, apart from wireline broadband and ILD &.
- Wireless: RCOM says that its Wireless minutes of usage were 103 billion for the quarter, up 3.1% year on year, and 0.49% quarter on quarter. Minutes of usage had dipped last quarter to 102.5 because RCOM had churned out many customers.
- Q3 wireless revenue up 4.7% y-o-y on comparable basis. Its wireless EBITDA was up 15% year on year.
- Q3 its revenue per minute was Rs 0.44, up 4.65% quarter on quarter, and after three quarters at Rs 0.43, RPM is back to the level it last saw exactly a year ago.
During the quarter, RCOM inked a partnership with Alcatel-Lucent, as per which, Alcatel Lucent will provide “all comprehensive and value-enhancing management to RCOM’s networks and services in the Eastern and the Southern regions of the country to deliver a world-class seamless voice and data communications experience to customers.”
RCOM also launched a Facebook Messenger Plan for GSM subscribers, and inked an exclusive partnership with Whatsapp for India, which was Whatsapp’s first telco deal in India.
- Total revenue of Rs 5136 crore, up from Rs 5031 crore in Q2-FY13 and Rs 4824 crore in Q3-FY13.
- Net profit for the period was Rs 114 crore, down from Rs 132 crore last quarter, and Rs 241 crore for the same period last year.
- Earnings Per Share was up to Rs 0.51 from Rs 0.50 last quarter, but substantially lower than Rs 0.90 reported for the corresponding period last year.
We’ll have more once RCOM releases its quarterly performance report. Please check for updates later in the day