Elaborating on this list, USTR which acts as the chief trade negotiator between the United States government and foreign governments, stated that this list mentions the top global online and physical markets which are reportedly involved in a significant amount of piracy activities and counterfeiting, as per the information submitted to USTR and are recommended for further investigation for possible Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) infringements.
The agency stated that Nehru Place is known for dealing with large volumes of pirated software, pirated optical media containing movies and music, and counterfeit goods and is one the many markets in major cities throughout India which is involved in these activities.
Other physical markets in the list include Ecuador’s Bahia Market, China’s Buynow PC Malls and Fu’an Footwear and Accessory Market, Paraguay’s Ciudad del Este, Indonesia’s Harco Glodok, Argentina’s La Salada, Ukraine’s Petrivka Market, Mexico’s Pulga Rio, Pakistan’s Urdu Bazaars and Thailand’s Red Zones like Panthip Plaza, Klong Thom, Saphan Lek and Baan Mor among others.
What’s particularly interesting is the list of online markets mentioned in the list. While there is no Indian website mentioned in the list, we noticed that the list goes beyond just torrent sites and file sharing sites:
- Tencent’s online marketplace Paipai.com has been highlighted for selling pirated and counterfeit goods in China. USTR states that Paipai’s anti-counterfeiting mechanisms are ineffective and is just a superficial gesture.
- Russia’s social networking portal vKontakte has been highlighted for being liable for infringement from a Russian record label while Vietnam’s Zing.Vn has been highlighted for having a deep linking music portal with infringing music.
- Sweden’s Baixe de Tudo has been highlighted for deep linking to infringing music and cracked software codes and programs.
- China’s Gougou has been highlighted for deep linking to infringing music files and torrent links from unauthorized sources.
- Chinese download manager Xunlei has been highlighted for allowing the downloading and distribution of pirated music and movies through deep-linking services as well as cyberlocker facilities and its own P2P file sharing mechanism.
Apart from this, there are the usual bit torrent indexing sites like The Pirate Bay, IsoHunt, Kat.ph (previously KickassTorrents), Torrents.eu, trackers like Rutracker, Zamunda.net and Arenabg.com and cyber locker services like Rapidgator.net, Putlocker and Ex.ua among others.
Positive developments: USTR noted that Alibaba owned online marketplace Taobao.com has been removed from the list since the company has taken significant measures to clean up its site and working with rightholders directly in the past year. It also noted that sites like Megaupload, Btjunkie and Demonoid among others have been removed from the site due to enforcement activities or the websites shutting down operations.
- USTR Names Delhi’s Nehru Place As A Notorious Piracy Market
- Indian Music Industry Files Petition Supporting IT Rules
- Kerala Police Registers Cases Against 1010 Users & Sites For Pirating Movie “Bachelor Party”
- Indian Music Industry Gets Court Orders For Blocking 104 Music Sites