India’s broadband connection base increased 1.71% to 15.08 million at the end of September 2012, from 14.82 million at the end of August, according to the Indian Telecom regulator TRAI.
At the same time, the mobile connection base (including multi-SIM and inactive connections) dropped to 906.61 Million in September, from 908.35 Million in August. This is a decrease of 0.19%, but on a comparatively larger base. 77.10% of mobile connections are reportedly active – a total of 699.00 million connections, but this includes multi-SIM users, so the total mobile user base is likely to be smaller.
Active User Base of Telecom Operators
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
– There were 699.00 million active connection in the month of September.
– Idea has 94.46% of its connections active– the maximum among all the operators.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 91.83%, followed by Vodafone at 90.14%.
In terms of the number of active subscribers, Airtel leads with 170.73 million, Vodafone at 137.61 million.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For September 2012:
– RCom added 0.21 million connections,taking its connection base to 134.84 million.
– Bharti Airtel lost 0.98 million connections,taking its connection base to 185.92 million.
– Vodafone lost 0.68 million connections,taking its connection base to 152.66 million.
– Idea Cellular lost 0.50 million connections, taking its connection base to 115.46 million.
– In terms of Active connections, Maharashtra leads with 84.71% active subscribers, followed by J&K, MP and Gujarat. Tamil Nadu has just 68.58% active subscribers, the lowest among all circles.
– Tamil Nadu has the most number of connections, with 77,813,371 connections. UP (East) is second with 74,584,908 and Maharashtra is third, with 68,026,038 connections.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 20.51%, Vodafone is at 16.84%,Reliance at 14.87%,Idea at 12.74% and BSNL is at 10.99%.
– Total 701.88M Active Mobile Base In India, End August 2012; 14.82M Broadband; Uninor, Airtel, Idea & Vodafone Lose Subscribers
– Total 698.08M Active Mobile Base In India, End July 2012; 14.68M Broadband; RCom Loses 20.48M Connections
– Total 695.80M Active Mobile Base In India, End June 2012; 14.5M Broadband
– May 2012: India has 14.31M Broadband Connections; 689.31M Active Mobile
– April 2012: India has 686.62M Active Mobile Connections; 13.95M Broadband
– March 2012: India Reports 683 Million Active Mobile Connections; Leaderboard
– February 2012 : India has 670.61M Active Mobile Connections; 13.54M Broadband
– January 2012: India has 659.99M Active Mobile Connections; 13.42M Broadband