The India Quarterly Media Tablet Market Review for Q2 2012 (ended August 2012) released by the CyberMedia Research states that India’s Tablet market recorded sales (unit shipment) of 0.55 million units in Q2 2012 recording a QoQ increase of 59% and YoY increase of 673%.The report claims that Micromax leads the pack with an 18.4% share, followed by Samsung at second position with 13.3% and Apple at third position with 12.3% share, in terms of sales (unit shipments) during the second quarter of 2012.
Other key points:
- Close to 90 vendors launched their tablets till Q2 2012.
- The average value of the tablets in Q2 2012 dropped to little above Rs 13,000 from Rs 26,000 in Q1 2012, as a majority of vendors in early 2012 launched their products in the Rs 5,000-10,000 price range.
- During Q2 2012, 47.4% of tablet sales were from new entrants in the market
- 87.5% of the tablets sold in Q2 2012 were based on Google’s Android operating system
- 79.7% of tablets accounted for the screen screen of 7-inches.
The research company predicts that devices based on other operating systems like Windows, iOS and QNX are expected to rise in future, in view of the recent announcement of the Microsoft Windows Surface Tablet, the global launch of the Apple iPad 3 and reduction in BlackBerry Playbook prices.
Recently, we have seen a surge in tablet launches in India. Vendors are not only launching a tablet for media consumption but are also launching devices for particular industry segments including Education, and niche segments like Healthcare, Retail and e-Governance.
Micromax recently launched its first ever tablet — Micromax Funbook Talk (P350) with voice data support. Last month, Tablet Maker, Datawind, announced four new low cost commercial Android tablets under the UbiSlate series, dubbed as UbiSlate 7Ri, UbiSlate 7R+, UbiSlate 7Ci, and UbiSlate 7C+.
Location based services and maps company MapmyIndia launched a new device, ‘CarPad 5‘. which is essentially a 3G enabled Android tablet offering its navigation interface along with communication and multimedia capabilities. Bangalore-based EAFT Technologies partnered with Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s Art of Living Foundation to launch a special range of indigenously built Android tablets, ‘Enlighten’, preloaded with content designed for the devotees of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.