The Cellular Operators Association of India (which includes most of India’s GSM telecom operators), has reported a decrease of 0.27 million GSM connections in September 2012, closing in at 671.6 million, a decrease of 0.04% from 671.9 million subscribers in the previous month.However, what’s worth noting is that three major operators lost subscribers: Airtel lost 0.98 million, Idea Cellular lost 0.50 million, and Vodafone lost 0.68 million connections in September. This might also be due to the deactivation of inactive connections or adjustment in subscriber numbers after MNP (mobile number portability).
There’s some discrepancy in subscriber numbers for BSNL in J&K and Chennai circles for August. Also note that the COAI has not included subscriber numbers for Stel and Etisalat DB.
GSM operator and circle-wise data (excluding Reliance and Tata):
– BSNL added 1.60 million in September, taking its connection base to 96.28 million.
– Aircel added 655,117 connections, taking its connection base to 66.60 million.
– Bharti Airtel lost 0.98 million in September, taking its connection base to 185.92 million.
– Idea Cellular lost 0.50 million connections, taking its base to 115.46 million.
Download: GSM Data from COAI (.xls file)
– Among metro circles, Chennai added 87,995 GSM connections.
Note that no information has been provided about the active users, which we’ll probably get once the telecom regulator TRAI releases data for the entire industry.
– August 2012: India Lost 7.10 Million GSM Connections; Uninor Loses 2.38M Subscribers
– July 2012: India Added Over 1.70 Million GSM Connections; Uninor Loses 1.08M Subscribers
– June 2012: India Added Over 4.63 Million GSM Connections
– May 2012: India Added Over 7.27 Million GSM Connections
– April 2012: India Added Over 6.49 Million GSM Connections; Bharti Airtel Adds 2.01 Million
– March 2012: India Added Over 6.86 Million GSM Connections
– February 2012: India Added Over 8.77 Million GSM Connections; Uninor Adds 2.34 Million
– January 2012: India Added Over 8.44 Million GSM Connections