India’s broadband connection base was up only 2.60% to 14.31 million at the end of May 2012, from 13.95 million at the end of April, according to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI. The mobile connection base increased to 929.36 Million in May as compared to 921.01 Million in April, an increase of 0.91%, but on a comparatively larger base. 74.17% of mobile connections are active – a total of 689.31 million connections, but this includes multi-SIM users, so the total mobile user base is likely to be smaller.
Active User Base of Telecom Operators
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
– Both Tata Teleservices and Aircel reported declines in their active connection bases: Tata Tele’s base base declined month by 171,498 to 47.1 million, while Aircel’s base went down by 125801 to 37.18 million
– There were 689.31 million active connection in the month of May.
– Idea has 92.33% of its connections active– the maximum among all the operators.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 91.21%, followed by Vodafone at 88.99%.
– S Tel, Etisalat, MTNL, Videocon, and Loop are at the bottom in terms of the number of active subscribers.
In terms of the number of active subscribers, Airtel leads with 169.01 million, Vodafone at 135.69 million.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For May 2012:
– Bharti Airtel added 2.01 million connections,taking its connection base to 185.30 million.
– Idea Cellular added 1.75 million connections,taking its connection base to 115.96 million.
– Uninor added 1.52 million connections, taking its connection base to 45.07 million.
– Vodafone added 1.20 million connections, taking its connection base to 152.48 million.
– In terms of Active connections, J&K leads with 84.73% active subscribers, followed by Assam, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra. Mumbai has just 61.69% active subscribers, the lowest among all circles.
– Tamil Nadu has the most number of connections, with 78,960,425 connections. UP (East) is second with 77,743,555 and Maharashtra is third, with 70,997,969 connections.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 19.94%, Reliance is at 16.58%,Vodafone at 16.41%,Idea at 12.48% and BSNL is at 10.51%.
– Companies like HFCL and Etisalat hold a mere 0.16% and 0.00% of the market share respectively.
– April 2012: India has 686.62M Active Mobile Connections; 13.95M Broadband
– March 2012: India Reports 683 Million Active Mobile Connections; Leaderboard
– February 2012 : India has 670.61M Active Mobile Connections; 13.54M Broadband
– January 2012: India has 659.99M Active Mobile Connections; 13.42M Broadband