The Interbank Mobile Payment Service saw a growth of 31.05% in the total transactions taking place, with a 1% increase in total number of Mobile Money IDs (MMID) being issued, according to data published by the National Payments Council of India. The transaction volumes grew from 22,997 to 30,137, and the amount transacted increased by 54.75% at Rs 11.22 crore, and the average transaction amount increased this time by 18.08% to 3725.16. Note that the amount transacted and average transaction amount had reduced last month. Monthwise details:
38 banks have so far signed up for IMPS with 7 banks including Catholic Syrian Bank , IDBI Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, Andhra Bank, State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur, Bank of Baroda and Dhanlaxmi Bank in soft launch. The IMPS page now has customer care numbers, to enable people to get MMIDs.
Amongst banks, ICICI Bank issued the maximum numbers of MMIDs at 160.1 lakh followed by AxisBank with 62.51 lakh, SBI Bank with 36.5 lakh MMIDs and Kotak Mahindra Bank with 21.9 lakh MMIDs.The more the MMIDs, the more the likelihood that P2P transactions will take place, and maybe, there will be more transactions than there are MMIDs, but the figures for this month are again pretty dismal.
The NPCI is taking other steps to promote the service as well, including the introduction of a universal USSD code to access the service. We’d like to reiterate that all partner Banks are still not promoting the IMPS at a level necessary for its growth.
- February 2012: 33.53M IMPS Mobile Money IDs; 22,997 Transactions
- January 2012: 18.33M IMPS Mobile Money IDs; 19,101 Transactions
- December 2011: 16.89M IMPS Mobile Money IDs; 15,759 Transactions
- November 2011: 16.04M IMPS Mobile Money IDs; 11,853 Transactions
- October 2011: 15.11M IMPS Mobile Money IDs; 12,511 Transactions
- September 2011: 14.97M IMPS Mobile Money IDs; 12,281 Transactions
- Poor Transaction Volumes Despite 14.31M IMPS Mobile Money IDs Issued In India
- July 2011: 11.70M IMPS Mobile Money IDs
- June 2011: 11.38M IMPS Mobile Money IDs; Transactions Decline Marginally
- IMPS To Pilot Merchant Transactions; Should Not Increase Rates
- Why Are Banks Not Promoting The IMPS Money Transfer Service?