Update: Ibibo has revealed that it has experienced the highest traction in the Java platform in terms of download volumes, witnessing a 30% growth month on month, Android platform witnessed 45% growth month on month and Symbian has seen 20% growth month on month. However, if time spent and pageviews per user are considered, they have experienced more traction in Android based smart phones.
Maharashtra and Delhi-NCR take the top honors in terms of active users, but the it is also witnessing fast growth from Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal. The company claims that 45% of the daily active users of ibibo iBrowser come from Tier 2 cities.
Previously (Feb 21, 2012):An year after the launch of its mobile browser ‘iBrowser‘, Naspers and TenCent owned social networking site Ibibo has announced that its mobile browser has crossed the 6 million download mark with 50% monthly active users. (Interestingly, the company claims that the browser was launched in Dec 2011). We’ve also sent some additional queries to Ibibo,on usage patterns among users, and will update this post, as soon as we get a response.
– Features: As reported earlier, Ibibo’s iBrowser is essentially a repurposed Tencent’s QQ Mobile browser and it includes features like tabbed navigation, search, speed dial, full-screen browsing, download manager, data compression and data tracking services. It also comes with a “night mode” which allows users to opt for a dark skin for night time usage. Apart form that, it also features dedicated hubs for quick access to popular sites across various genres like News, Entertainment, Sports, App downloads, Mail, Music and Social networking sites as well as Ibibo properties like Ibibo games, chat, mail, and free SMS.
– Platforms: Launched initially on Symbian S60v3 and Java phones, iBrowser is now available for Android, Symbian and Java based phones, which according to the company, covers 90% of mobile handsets in India.
The company claims that the iBrowser has been the most downloaded app on the Mobango platform in the last 30 days. It didn’t share any specific download numbers, but the Mobango website states that the java variant had recorded 3.63 lakh downloads, while its Android variant registered 671 downloads and the Symbian variant at 101 downloads, at the time of writing this post.
– Partnerships: In the past year, Ibibo has partnered with handset manufacturers like Huawei, LG, Spice, & Lemon Mobile to preload iBrowser on mobile handsets.
– Websites: According to Ibibo, Facebook and Zedge has emerged as the top two mobile sites followed by Getjar, Google & Ibibo.
– Ibibo Teams-Up With Huawei To Offer Apps & Virtual Currency
– Ibibo Launches Games On Chrome Web Store; New Android Games
– Ibibo Opens-Up Gaming Platform API To Developers; Rev Share, Monetization
– Ibibo Launches Fantasy Cricket Game CricEx; CEO Ashish Kashyap On Monetization, Mobile Games
– First Look At Ibibo Mail And Messenger; Bixee – A Meta Search Brand? Bixee CrawlX