Independent mobile App store GetJar, has raised $25 million in Series C funding from New York based Hedge Fund, Tiger Global Management. Existing investor, Accel Partner, which funded its series A and B rounds, will also participate in this round of funding. The company intends to use the raised capital to expand sales, marketing and engineering initiatives.
GetJar hosts 75,000 mobile apps and is available in 200 countries. According to the company, it has crossed 1.5 billion downloads and has expanded its operations in Europe, in addition to tripling its employees. GetJar plans to expand its offering to Android app publishers and position itself as an “open” Android market alternative, while continuing to support other platforms like BlackBerry and iOS.
GetJar has partnerships with Virgin Mobile and Reliance Communications in India to power the operators’ respective free app stores. It had also collaborated with Angry Birds publisher-Rovio, Yahoo, Sprint, AT&T and Zynga, among others, during the last year. Rovio had launched the Android version of Angry Birds on GetJar before making it available for download on Android Market.
Tiger Global Management has earlier invested in Indian e-commerce ventures LetsBuy.com and Flipkart. It also invested in the new venture formed after the merger of HolidayIQ and WeGo.
– App Store GetJar Inks Second Telco Deal In India; Ties Up With Virgin Mobile
– GetJar To Power Reliance Communications’ App Store On GSM And CDMA
– LetsBuy.com Raises $6 million From Helion, Accel & Tiger Global
– HolidayIQ Merges With WeGo; Raises Funding From Tiger Global
– Flipkart Raises $8-10M In Funding From Tiger Global: Report