Prasad Ram, Director of Engineering (Google Research) and former Head of Google’s R&D Center in India has left the company earlier this month, a Google India spokesperson has confirmed to MediaNama. Peeyush Ranjan is currently MD for Google India R&D.
Ram has started an education focused non-profit startup called Ednovo, which is going to build upon Gooru, a free web based education solution that was begun as a ’20% effort’ at Google, and piloted in India with 25 classrooms and 1000 students. Gooru allows teachers to use openly licensed web resources, find lesson plans on all subjects and topics and then customize it to their specific needs, with rich multimedia content including videos, slides, and simulations.
Remember that Rajan Anandan, former Microsoft India MD was brought in to head Google India earlier this month, so that Shailesh Rao could focus entirely on the companys display business as MD (Japan and Asia-Pacific) for Media and Platform Sales. Interestingly, Google India has witnessed a significant change in personnel over the last year or so:
- Atul Satija, Head of Wireless Business, Japan & Asia Pacific at Google, operating out of Gurgaon, is now Vice President and Managing Director, Asia Pacific for InMobi
- Parminder Singh, Business Head, Google India, is now Director of Online Media Sales, Asia Pacific & Japan. Kiran Mani, Head of Vertical Sales, took over from him.
- Narasimha Jayakumar, Business Head (Travel and Local) for Google India is now VP (E-Commerce) for Homeshop18. Pravin Sharma is now heading Google India’s display business.
- Amit Somani, previously Head for Mobile Products for Google for Asia-Pacific, is Chief Products Officer at MakeMyTrip
- Sanjay Jain, previously Product Manager with Google for Google News, Google Maps and Map Maker has joined the UIDAI
- Rutvik Doshi was previously Product Manager for Google News, is now Chief Product Officer at group buying company Taggle.
- Samir Sood, Head of Investments and M&A for South Asia and Neeraj Arora (M&A Lead) were moved to Google in the US from India. Sood has since left the company.
- Gautam Gandhi, who was looking at New Business Development in India, is also being moved back to the US, Google confirmed to MediaNama
- Rahul Roy-Chowdhury, Senior Product Manager, and Alok Goel, Product Manager at Google India, are still with Google, but have moved to the US.