In December, a total of 12.52 million GSM connections were added and India at the end of 2009 has 379.85 million GSM connections. This is a growth of 3.41 percent compared to November, 2009. India has consistently seen an addition of over 10 million connections per month for the last year or so, though it is believed that a significant part of the growth has been driven by multiple SIM usage among suscribers.
- Vodafone is inching closer to the 100 million mark. At the end of the month it has a total of 91.40 million GSM connections.
- New entrants S-Tel and Uninor have accumulated 141,411 and 1.21 million GSM connections respectively in their first month of operations.
- Idea Cellular has witnessed much lower additions at 1.71 million in December as compared to 2.59 million GSM users in the previous month.
- Bharti Airtel has added 2.85 million users and their total number of users stands at 118.86 million.
- BSNL might be losing landline users but it continues to add mobile connections. It has added 2.04 million connections taking its total connections base to 57.22 million.
- Aircel has shown a growth of 5.69 percent over additions of last month. It ended the year with a total of 31.02 million mobile connections.
- Loop Mobile (formerly BPL Mobile) which operates in Mumbai only, has added 54,276 users this month.
- MTNL has added 57,009 users and has a total of 4.57 million GSM connections in Delhi and Mumbai.
- The four major metros alone added 1.06 million GSM connections including Delhi which added 395,477 connections.
- A circle net additions has grown by 3.19 percent as compared to the previous month. Tamil Nadu and Karnataka have added 947,516 and 989,676 users respectively.
- B circle has witnessed a net addition of 4.98 million with UP(W) and UP(E) adding 932,644 and 993,405 respectively.
- C circle added 2.48 million connections showing a growth of 4.67 percent over last month.
Download: GSM Data from COAI (Excel file)